Monday, October 16, 2006

companionable silence

I didn't get those linkfest posts in blogs, where someone will do an entire entry of 20 "I like _____, go check it out " links and call it a day. But I see now... it's like one of those phone conversations with my closest friends, the ones that come in the middle of weekend mornings or Thursday afternoons. We don't say much - not much that's very meaningful at any rate - but we stay on the phone for hours. I'm just happy sitting there with the person on the other end of the line.

So yeah, linkfest. Let's just hang out for a while!

When I read this:
Trouble is, I’ve never been a big bean fan. Now Im coming around. It will not surprise you to learn that this involves copious amounts of pork. I knew I had found a kindred spirit. Matthew is a food writer in Seattle who is making me add even more detail to my elaborate fantasies of living in down the street from Pike Place Market and shopping for dinner every afternoon after working at the aquarium (oh, there's more, much, much more... I don't have much in the way of a five-year plan or anything but I WILL live in Seattle at some point and I think about how glorious it will be every time I go outside in the armpit that is south Florida.) I spent all afternoon pouring through his archives, alternately laughing and drooling.


Mike Patton's voice is featured in several tracks on my life's mix tape... I played Crystalis while listening to the first Mr Bungle album on repeat... Listening to those songs makes my fingers curl around a phantom SNES controller and I can still see those ice falls coming down the mountain. Jeff Gillis turned me on to that game... I would thank him for it if I knew where he was. ANYway, the point is, through Faith No More and Mr. Bungle and Lovage and Tomohawk and General Patton and his X-ecutioners and a bunch of other projects I haven't gotten my hands on yet, Mike Patton has made this incredible, amazingly varied body of music while staying pretty much below the radar of most people. It's not music you can leave on in the background while doing other things - it demands your attention - but your focus will be rewarded. Start out with Lovage and work your way though.


Alright, the link fest was pretty short... I've got more but I really need to get back to work. Part II coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home